TACO TUESDAY! CARNITAS LETTUCE WRAPS
Being raised in the San Diego area and going to college there, Mexican food has always been a food staple in my life. From Carne Asada/California/Breakfast burritos to fish/calamari tacos to chicken tamales! Any form of mexican food was usually consumed multiple times a week and could even be hazily eaten at some odd times of the night. One of the best nights of the week in San Diego was Taco Tuesday. Ok, yes the tacos were amazing, but the $2 beers always helped provide some fun on Tuesday nights, but also led to not so fun Wednesday work days!
However, you are probably reading this, thinking to yourself, CARB overload! Yes, you are correct, but I was sort of able to manage in college, but now it leads to chaotic blood sugar levels, even without the beers. (NOTE: Tacos are much better for me when it come to blood sugar levels, they are manageable, but burritos never work.)
So the healthier low carb option for burritos and tacos is to replace the tortilla with a romaine lettuce leaves, or what we like to call, "lettuce boats". Have a taste for yourself & happy Taco Tuesday to all!
What We Used:
* Carnitas (pork) - Trader Joes pre-cooked Carnitas. Just heat over the flame in skillet to crisp it and heat off some of the fat. We like it extra crispy. You can use any meat preference: Ground Beef, Ground Turkey, Chicken, Carne Asada or skip the meat if you are vegetarian....you get it.
* Bell Pepper - Red, Orange, Green..whatever you like. We only had orange & red this time.
* White Onion - Sliced. Use either sauteed in the meat or fresh.
* Garlic - Diced up & mixed in with the Carnitas while it cooks.
* Lime Juice - Used as a fresh squeeze on top of the tacos or while the meat cooks.
* Garnish: Cilantro, Onion, Tomato, Cheese (optional) and CHOLULA, can't live without hot sauce!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.